One of Melbourne’s first start-up technology companies, we were founded in the city’s suburbs in 1978. Our initial ambition was to provide computer services to businesses that needed to automate processes. Eventually, we progressed to providing specialist computer bureau services to Australian share registrars, something we quickly excelled at. Harnessing our entrepreneurial spirit, we continued to develop best in class technology that minimises risk, reduces cost and simplifies processes for our clients and their customers.
When we listed on the Australian Securities Exchange in 1994 we had a market cap of AUD $36 million, managed around 6 million shareholder accounts and had about 50 staff. Now we're a global business with a market cap in the billions, managing over 75 million customer records with 12,000 staff across all major financial markets.
Computershare remains a unique Australian success story. We built on our share registry business by successfully expanding into employee equity plans, stakeholder communications, corporate governance, fund services, class action administration, deposit protection and most recently, mortgage servicing.
In China and Hong Kong, we operate in five business areas:
- Registry Services—we partner with more than 80% of the top 800 companies (by market capitalisation) including 38 of the 50 Hang Seng Index Constituent Stock Issuers.;
- Plan Managers—powered by an unrivalled investment in technology, we manage employee share plan schemes for top employers, servicing over 150,000 employees;
- Shareholder Identification and Proxy Solicitation Solutions—we help issuers identify, locate and communicate with key shareholders to secure the votes they require;
- Governance Services—we deliver web based board portal solutions to support company secretaries with administration, governance and compliance;
- Global Solutions—we offer international issuers and other capital market participant cross-border advisory services and solutions to attract, retain and connect with potential investors.
Over the years, we’ve expanded globally by acquiring other successful companies and growing our local footprint organically.